Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Wedding on the Enterprise

So I have a secret to admit. When I was younger, I was a trekie. For whatever reason, I migrated from a Star Wars obsession to being a fan of the adventures of Captain Kirk, Spock, Sulu, and the rest of the crew.

This is clip is a few weeks old, but I feel it still worth being posted. It features George Takei, aka Mr. Sulu, speaking about his recent marriage to long time partner Brad Altman. Beyond this being a moment to air my slightly embarrassing geek-ish past, it is a great example of gay celebrities using their fame to campaign in opposition to Proposition 8 (the more obvious example of course being Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi). Takei and Altman's wedding was a calculated affair, and while I do not doubt the couple's love, their wedding was definitely a political move. Of course, Takei is no stranger to California politics, having run for Los Angeles city council, and been on the board of the Southern California Rapid Transit District,in addition to his work as an LGBT rights activist. Still, I believe he is a classic example of celebrity politics, without which the LGBT rights agenda would most likely still be years away from even the possibility of legalized same-sex marriage.

No comments: