Sunday, October 19, 2008

Confusion Alert Ahead

When I was bumming around the No on 8 website looking at their TV ads, I noticed something very strange. Up until recently, the logo for "Vote No on Prop 8" featured a little green check through the o of no. This is the logo that can still be seen on all merchandise sold in the noonprop8store.com (Coincidentally, this is the lawn sign I have on my dorm room door):

http://www.noonprop8store.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=Prop8-186

However, now the logo for the no on 8 website has a red x through the o of no.

http://www.noonprop8.com/

What is the reason for the change? This is all purely speculative, but it seems as if those behind Equality California/No on Prop 8 realised that a green check is a positive thing, and that in their efforts to get people to vote no, this might become confusing to voters, causing them to vote yes by accident. Personally I think it's a tad silly, but it should be noted that the wording of Prop 8 is somewhat confusing - voters are used to being -for- gay marriage, not -against- a ban on gay marriage. Usually when someone talks about being "pro-gay marriage," one doesn't think about voting against anything.

What I am confused about, is why would Equality California/No on Prop 8 change their logo now, less than 3 weeks before the election, whatever the reason? Thousands of lawn signs, poster, stickers, buttons, t-shirts, and other paraphernalia have been distributed with the 1st version of the logo. Why change the logo now? Doesn't this make a tiny detail even more confusing?

Come on Equality California, please pull yourself together and stop acting like an indecisive spastic puppy. Pick a message, and go with it. Don't confuse voters. Air some stronger TV ads, and stop playing defense. A strong campaign is starting to slowly look weaker, which does not bode well for the outcome of November 4Th.

3 comments:

Isaac Hale said...

I'm with you Jacquie. God... I'm really, REALLY praying that we win this thing.

Laura said...

Jacquie, I agree this was a big fumble to change course a few weeks out, but I must admit that comparing the 2 logos, I get it. The new one is much stronger in conveying the no message, and as you said, many people are confused about how to vote. I actually had one friend, someone into politics, say, "yay for gay marriage, yay for prop8!" I was in shock. Hopefully this new logo makes it a bit more clear--since both the no and yes campaigns have previously been framed in positive ways. This now makes it clear--vote no because inequality is wrong (they changed the color of the tagline too)

Jacquie said...

I understand and agree with you Laura about the -message- of the changed logo. I personally think the new logo should have been the logo since the very begining. More what I am saying is that since so much propaganda has been distributed with the original logo the change is just making a confusing situation worse. I know what you mean about people saying "yay for gay marriage and prop 8" - I've run across that alot over the past few months. If anything that's a biggest signifyer that the no on prop 8 campaign has not being doing a good job.